Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Stampin' Rodeo VSN - OH! My Leather!


Challenge C is "OH! My Leather!" the challenge is to make a project with faux leather. There are a couple tutorials on the challenge page...but I choose to do something different.

I do a lot of faux finishes on walls...almost every room in my house has a faux finish that I did. My obsession started when I was nineteen and had just purchased my condo. I came across a faux leather finish that you use saran wrap! I did not use this finish but the idea always stuck with me. So thats what I did here only I used a ziplock bag.

Before I go on a bit of full disclosure...This was my second attempt at this. On the first try I used a different tree stamp and it did not look good so I grabbed an image that was already colored edged it a bit and used it to cover up the bad looking trees. This is what I ended up with....


Now when I was writing this post and explaining how I got this finish I thought this would be better if it had pictures so I made another card just so I could add pics. I am so glad I thought of that cause my second try came out great!!


Here's how I did it: I tapped/rubbed Antique Linen Distress Ink on the ziplock bag then gently laid the bag over the paper and ran my hand over it to work the ink in. I did this step twice with the same color.


I repeated the process using Tea Dye Distress Ink (twice) then used Vintage Photo Distress ink (twice but very little ink the second time) after I was happy with the results I ran the Walnut Stain Distress Ink over the edges...that step is not necessary but I think it gives it a finished look!


Next I stamped the trees. My stamp is from Inkadinkado and I used Colorbox Black ink.


Now I thought it needed a little extra something so I used a colored pencil to add a little shading and dimension to my scene. The color I used is Prismacolor Brunt Umber.

I am loving this finish and from start to finished card it only took 25 minutes!!

Here is a direct link to the challenge if you would like to check it out. OH! My Leather!

1 comment:

  1. Michelle I LOVE this technique! I've tried it the other way - putting the ink on a craft mat and then blotting with the card, but the way you did it seems like it would have more control. I don't have many distress inks but I do have the browns and I love the look you got so I will need to try this for sure!
    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and any questions I would be happy to answer!!